An evening of poetry at Rydal Mount promises a rare chance to hear Wordsworths reading Wordsworth.
- Garden Ticket
- Person All ages
- Guided House & Garden Tickets
- Starting Price 6+ years old
Wordsworth House and Garden Tickets
Explore William Wordsworth’s favourite home and discover breathtaking views of Windermere and Rydal Water!
Rydal Mount, in the heart of the English Lake District, lies between Ambleside and Grasmere and commands glorious views of Windermere, Rydal Water and the surrounding fells. This was William Wordsworth’s best-loved family home for the greater part of his life, from 1813 to his death in 1850 at the age of 80.
The house, which was a focus for romantic literature, continues to be owned by the Wordsworth family and retains the feel of a lived-in family home.
The house dates back to the 16th century, although it was enlarged over the intervening centuries, including by Wordsworth himself. It contains a selection of the family’s prized possessions and portraits.
Wordsworth was a keen landscape gardener, and the 5-acre garden remains very much as he designed it. It consists of fell-side terraces, rock pools and an ancient mound.
Further your understanding of William Wordsworth by participating in a guided tour around Rydal Mount. It was here that Wordsworth and his family found happiness and stability and where he lived from 1803 until his death in 1850.
Many of his belongings that were in the house while he lived here have been returned to the house via his direct descendants. Your guide tells you the remaining chapters of the story of Wordsworth’s life, which started at Cockermouth and continued, famously, in Somerset and Grasmere. Rydal Mount provides an insight into the man whom, through these experiences, Wordsworth eventually became.
Duration: The time spent in the house is 45 minutes (20 minutes on a guided tour through the rooms on the ground floor of Rydal Mount, and 25 minutes of self-guided exploration around the rooms on the upper floors).
Please note parking is provided (although not guaranteed) while you’re on site. However, if you need longer – for example, if you’re going on a walk and would like to leave your car in Rydal Mount’s carpark – please buy parking here.
- Currently, due to COVID-19 and the restrictions it has placed on Rydal Mount, all admission will be charged as an adult House and Garden entrance ticket (self-guided), regardless of age or status.
- Tickets need to be purchased online in advance.
- Please arrive on time for your visit. We cannot guarantee entry if you’re late.
- Your booking allows you a 30-minute self-guided visit in the house. You have unlimited time in the garden, until closing time.
- Tickets are refundable up to 48 hours before the time of your visit. If cancellation is within 48 hours of your visit, refunds aren’t issued.
- Parking is available free of charge in Rydal Mount’s carpark for the duration of your visit, while you are physically on the property. If you need longer, please book a space online.